Thursday, December 19, 2013

mmproject.org Link About Population Deniers

This little blurb really summed it up for me, so I thought I would include the whole thing. I hope they don't mind, I put their link down there for them and everything. I really like their questions at the end, and I think I would like to expound on them in a few more posts. I reiterate, I'm not an expert, I have no PhD, hell I don't even have a BA and most people will try to say I am full of BS. I don't care. These are my observations, and I think just getting the conversation going is the most important thing. Think I'm wrong? Great! Let's debate. I'm warning you, you WILL need to arm yourself with logic instead of religion and emotion. Think I'm onto something? Great! Help spread the word!

As for the questions these cool people set forth... I'm on it. I don't know everything about mmproject.org, but they seem pretty cool at a glance. I may have to chat with them at some point.

Oh Interweb, you are so fascinating. It was nice to find good stuff for a change. Oh - I'm also going with the term "Population Deniers." That's a good one. 

Population Deniers Pose an ecological Threat

Seeking Fair and Equitable Steps to a Sustainable Population
Population Deniers Pose an ecological Threat
 Every day, global population grows by around 228,000. The United Nations’ mid-range projection is for human population to reach 9.3 billion by the year 2050.  And yet, articles have been appearing in major publications that suggest with alarm the world’s population is in decline, citing a “low fertility crisis.” But the world’s population isn’t in decline, and isn’t projected to be, any time soon.
This recent wave of population denial seems to be coming from those who stand to profit more immediately from a large population, and those economists who see the economic benefit to increased consumption without taking into account the ecological impact. But the scientific community has stated in clear and unambiguous terms: if human civilization intends to seriously address its environmental problems, both rapid human population growth—and the unsustainable consumption that goes along with it—need to slow down.
There are fair and equitable approaches we can take worldwide that would make a difference in balancing population growth and the health of the planet. Last June the Global Network of Science Academies issued a statement on population and consumption which noted that national and international policy should “encourage development strategies that help to reduce population growth. Programs that promote education, in particular of women and girls, should be central to those strategies.”
How is the environment affected by population growth? Who benefits from denial of the scientific evidence of unsustainable population growth? Is slowing the growth of human population enough or do we need to reverse it? How is education and empowerment for women and girls crucial to slowing the growth of the world’s population? What practical and equitable steps can be taken now?

No comments:

Post a Comment